What are the eligibility criteria for clients to receive Meals on Wheels?
- 60 years of age or older, or a spouse of someone 60 years of age or older
- Unable to leave the home under normal circumstances
- Unable to prepare meals or obtain food
- Unable to dine at a Senior Luncheon Center
- No person is available who would be able and willing to prepare all meals
- Dietary needs can be appropriately met by the program
- Able to feed himself/herself
- Able to be home when meals are delivered, or contact the Meals on Wheels office when absence is unavoidable.
- Able to be available for in-home assessments, to ensure that Meals on Wheels is meeting their needs and to connect them with community resources and to help them be safe, healthy, and independent in their homes.
Client Suggested Donations
The actual cost of each meal served averages $6.59 per meal. The suggested contribution for eligible seniors is $3.00 per meal. No one is denied service because of an inability to contribute. All donations are used to purchase additional meals and minimize the necessity for waiting lists.
Methods of Service
In much of the area we serve, hot mid-day meals are delivered for the number of days per week to meet clients’ needs. These meals are designed to be the main meal of the day. In some rural areas, our clients are served by weekly delivery of frozen meals. Because funding for Meals on Wheels is not always sufficient to meet the needs of every eligible senior, meals may not be available for everyone who qualifies!
Short Term Needs
Many people receive Meals on Wheels for a week or two following hospitalization.
Strict therapeutic diets are not available at the present time. A few changes are made for diabetics, lower sodium, and those requiring mechanically adjusted or renal meals. Skim milk is served upon request.
Menus are designed to contain a wide variety of well-balanced nutritious meals. Each meal consists of a protein-rich entree, fruit, vegetables, bread, milk and dessert.
Private Pay option
If individuals do not meet the eligibility requirements and are interested in receiving Meals on Wheels, they may purchase them on a Private Pay basis for $6.50/meal plus tax.
How to Arrange for Services:
To inquire about eligibility for Meals on Wheels, please contact our office. Referrals are accepted from any source.
Grand Traverse and Leelanau Counties residents may phone Dorothy Fisher, David Hagen, or Lisa Robitshek at: 947-3780
Manistee County residents may phone Connie Ott at: 723-6461
Wexford and Missaukee County residents may contact Chuck Dolley at: 775-9781
The toll-free number for the Senior Nutrition Program throughout the five county area is:(800) 632-7334